Konferenz Nationaler Kultureinrichtungen

Tränenwiese und Neues Schloss mit Altan an der Westfassade (Foto: Tine Jurtz)

“Fürst-Pückler-Park Bad Muskau” Foundation

Landscape painting

Between 1815 and 1845 Prince Hermann von Pückler-Muskau (17851871) planned and designed an English-style park which he later described as a landscape painting”. Spanning more than 830 hectares, the park with its ornate buildings and structures is a world-class garden artwork, duly recognised as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. In 1845 Pückler sold the Muskau lordship, and the palace was later refurbished in a neo-Renaissance style. The life and works of this epochal landscape artist, writer and bon vivant are the focus of a permanent exhibition in the Neuer Schloss (new castle). 

On account of changes to the Polish-German border made following World War II, the park now extends across the territory of two countries, Germany and Poland. The respective monument conservators work very closely together. Since 1993 the Fürst-Pückler-Park Bad Muskau” Foundation has been committed to cultivating and reconstructing the park based on historical models and renovating its buildings in accordance with landmark preservation guidelines. Important sections in the Polish section of the park have been fully restored as well.